The responsibilities of Upper Rissington Council:
As a Parish council we offer a range of services within the village of Upper Rissington.
Cotswold District Council and Gloucestershire County Council also provide services in Upper Rissington. Although each council is an independent organisation providing separate services, we all work together to ensure that all the services provided improve the quality of life for the people of Upper Rissington.
Parish Councils are an essential part of the structure of local democracy and have a vital role in acting on behalf of the communities they represent.
- Give views, on behalf of the community, on planning applications and other proposals that affect the parish.
- Undertake projects and schemes that benefit local residents.
- Work in partnership with other bodies to achieve benefits for the parish.
- Alert relevant authorities to problems that arise or work that needs to be undertaken.
- Help the other tiers of local government keep in touch with their local communities.
- Parish Councils have a wide range of legal duties and powers, such as the maintenance of community buildings and land and much more. They have the power to raise money through the local council tax.
The Government runs a Local Council Award Scheme. Councils have to prove they meet certain requirements relating to efficiency, good organisation and active involvement with their communities, should be given a greater say in how services are delivered in their area and the opportunity to take on some of the services currently provided by other tiers of local government.
Parish Council is responsible for:
- Allotments (Upper Rissington does not currently have allotments)
- Bus Shelters
- Grants to Voluntary Organisations
- Recreation Grounds
- Play Areas
- Planning matters (as consultee for the planning authority)
Cotswold District Council is responsible for:
- Building Control
- Business Rates
- Community Safety
- Council Tax
- Electoral Services
- Environmental Health
- Housing Services
- Land Charges
- Refuse Collection
- Rural Development
- Street Scene
- Tourism and Leisure
Gloucestershire County Council is responsible for:
- Fire Service
- Local Development
- Mineral and Waste Policies
- Social Services
- Trading Standards
- Transport Planning
- Public transport
- Concessionary Bus Passes
- Road Safety
- Street Lighting